Friday 16 September 2011

Swedish man caught trying to split atoms at home

275x250.jpgEveryone needs a hobby, but maybe not like this. A Swedish man has been arrested after he was caught trying to split atoms in his kitchen… as a hobby.
31-year-old Richard Handl is said to have spent several months trying to build his own nuclear reactor at his apartment and even kept a blog about his exploits.

Unfortunately for Handl, after acquiring the radioactive elements radium, americium and uranium he accidentally created a "small meltdown" on his stove. As you do.

Realising it could have been a lot worse, this prompted him to write to Sweden's Radiation Authority and ask them about the legality of what he'd been doing.

Their reply pretty emphatic… they sent around the police who arrested the would-be nuclear boffin who could now face fines or up to two years in prison.
Writing on his blog, Handl said: "I was arrested and sent to jail, when the police and the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority searched my apartment. They took all my radioactive stuff, but I was released after a hearing. But I am still suspect for crime against the radiation safety law.

"I was ordered by the police to get out of the building with my hands up, then three men came, with geiger-counters and searched me. Then I was placed in a police-car, when Radiation Safety Authoriyy went into my apartment with very advanced measure-tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...